Smat's Blog

Smat's world

Friday, September 23, 2005

Smat's new toy

This week I've bought a digital piano with which to amuse myself - it's been 20 years since I had paino lessons, but surprisingly I'm not as bad as I was expecting. Co-incidentally it's been 20 years or so since I last sang anything more challenging than Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and carols at Christmas, so it's been really nice to have joined a choral singing group.
Which is something that several people have found strange and commented on - that 1. I would join a choir and 2. that it was one where I didn't already know anyone. I can't see anything odd about either of those things (but then I know that I get to go out shopping for a glamorous long black skirt. and some shoes. and a white shirt.) so I'm a bit perplexed by other people's attitudes. Mind you, I did surprise DD1 (who hasn't heard me sing anything more challenging than...etc etc etc) who asked in amazement "Was that you doing all that singing? Even all the high bits as well?"
Smat's still got it (whatever "it" is).

2 Comments:

  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger surly girl said…

    does your piano thing have that button you press to get the samba or bossa nova beats? i succumbed to early eighties peer pressure and whined for 6 months, finally winning a giant yamaha keyboard for christmas. it sat triumphantly on the desk in my room, but since i have no musical talent whatsoever i learned to play "it's a sin" by the pet shop boys (with chords, mind) and then never went near it again.

    i knew i should have campaigned for roller boots instead and then i wouldn't have always had to wear fiona wilkinson's sister's.

    carry on.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Smat said…

    no, the piano isn't as fancy as that - it has a metronome, can play like a church organ or a harpsichord as well as a grand piano, but does play 50 (mostly quite complicated) pieces. Which means you can switch it on and pretend that actually that Grade 5 piano wasn't all that long ago really. But hey, Pet Shop Boys with chords is pretty good!
    I never had roller boots - I did almost buy some on ebay last year, but realised that I would look a bit stupid roller blading up and down the hills to school pushing a buggy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home