Smat's Blog

Smat's world

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Smat was a Grown Up

albeit briefly. Yesterday was Verity's National Conference and AGM, and in my role as Treasurer, I had to stand up and present the accounts to the members. Fortunately Mr Smat had prepared my powerpoint slides, so all I had to do was read them out. Even more fortunately the woman who noticed that the figures in the Annual Report were £20 different to the actual accounts didn't mention this during my presentation. Whew!
So there we were, running a national charity, hosting top expert speakers and published authors (as well as an amazing yoga woman*), being praised for changing the lives of hundreds of women, and I suddenly thought "hang on a minute, this is me, Smat! How did I get Grown Up?" It's quite worrying really as I don't feel old enough to be a Grown Up. I know I have the Baby Smats and the mortgage and the people carrier and the total lack of interest in partying all night, but it's about time I started behaving a bit more age appropriately.
So what do 30-somethings do these days?

*who has inspired me to "love my spine" and do the Salute to the Sun every morning without fail.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger patroclus said…

    What did you spend the £20 on?

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger Smat said…

    nothing exciting I'm afraid - it was on depreciation, so not actually a real £20 at all, more a fictional accounting-type of £20.
    Ought to have been champagne and chocolates really.

     
  • At 7:34 AM, Blogger patroclus said…

    Congratulations on standing up and presenting though, Smat. I'm very impressed. My litany of phobias means I can't do that any more. How many people were there?

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Smat said…

    about a hundred - fewer than the first year I had to do it, but more than last year. It does get easier, honest!

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger patroclus said…

    Blimey, I don't think I've *ever* presented to that many people. Wow. Respect.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home