Smat's Blog

Smat's world

Monday, October 10, 2005

Bars of soap

We like bars of soap in the House of Smat. The Baby Smats like leaving them in containers of water in the bathroom so that they dissolve slowly - I like to think it's because they're all budding scientists and it's some kind of high-level experiment, but sadly I fear it's can't-be-bothered-to-put-the-soap-back-in-its-proper-place-like-Mummy-nags-us-to-ness). Mr Smat is ambivalent, but I prefer a proper bar of soap to use in the shower. None of that shower gel nonsense for me.
But (and it's a big but), I only really like fruity flavours of soap* (lemon, orange, apple). And in the past couple of months it has proved almost impossible to buy fruity soap in any supermarket round here. I've even braved Boots and the scary makeup counters with their even scarier makeup-ed assistants, but no soap. I know I could go a bit further afield to the nearest Body Shop (20 minutes away) or Lush** (40 minutes with a clear M25 - yeah, right, like that ever happens), but that's not the point. Before the summer I could get assorted fruity soaps; now they've taken them off the shelves and replaced them with soapy smelling soaps. Am I the only person who finds this quite scary? What next - only one brand of loo roll?

* I know that technically soap shouldn't have a flavour in recommended useage, but 'flavour' describes what I mean much more expressively than simply 'smell'.

** Something which amuses me every time I get the train via Victoria - next door to Lush is the International Cheese Company. So does the cheese taste soapy, or the soaps cheesy?

4 Comments:

  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger surly girl said…

    i can't go near lush - just the thought of it gives me a headache. we have to have ultra-mild soap in our house as we're such sensitive little flowers.

    what a fascinating comment that was. told you i had blogger's block.

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Smat said…

    you're still recovering from your Big Weekend though - it'll be OK (says Smat soothingly).

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger surly girl said…

    btw i've tagged you.

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger Tabby Rabbit said…

    >>i can't go near lush <<

    Agreed - have to cross the road every time I see, no smell, one. Their staff must have permanent nasal damage.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home